I’ve been a southerner my entire life, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t gotten around! I never realized how many unique sayings we have down here until I traveled to other parts of the country. I have to say, I miss them when I’m away.
These are a few of my favorites. They crack me up. Feel free to leave some of your own!
- If that boy had an idea it would die of loneliness.
- My cow died last night, so I don’t need your bull.
- Madder than a wet hen.
- Hotter than four hells.
- Busier than a one legged cat in a sandbox.
- Her pants were so tight, you could see her religion.
- It’s so dry the trees are bribing the dogs.
- You best leave me alone, or I’m gonna’ cream your corn.
- Well, butter my backside and call me a biscuit.
- Finer than frog hair and twice as ticklish.
- I’ll slap you to sleep, then slap you for sleeping.
- Quicker than a hot knife through butter.
- He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
- Hotter than blue blazes.
- If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay off the porch.
- He’s about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
- She’s as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
- Busy as a stumped-tail cow at fly time.
- Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.
- Either fish or cut bait.
What about you? What are your favorite southern sayings. Or, do you need a translator for these? Let me know what ya’ll think!